LAHORE – Over 140,000 WAPDA employees, during protest on Thursday warned the rulers that if no progressive reforms were made and restrictions on workers fundamental rights lifted, there will come a social revolution alike the ones in Egypt and Tunisia.
The protest, across the country, was held against the proposed privatisation of the utility.
“It is being carried out on the behest of the IMF and the World Bank,” the protestors alleged.
The workers, under the aegis of the Pakistan WAPDA Hydro Electric Central Labour Union, took out the mass processions in Hyerabad, Sukkur, Larkna, Quetta, Sibbi, Khizdar, Peshawar, Noshehra, Abbottabd, Bannu, Multan, Faisalabad, Gujranwala, and Rawalpindi.
In Lahore, a procession, participated in by hundreds of workers, was taken out from the Bakhtiar Labour Hall. It marched with red flags and banners in support of their demands. They raised the slogan “Down with the IMF, World Bank and Privatization.”
The procession was led by labour leader Khurshid Ahmed. Other leaders Syed Sijjad Hussain Shah, Malik Noor Muhammad, Sh. Muhammad Shoaib, Ch. Maqsood Ahmed, Ch. Noor Muhammad, Osama Tariq, Syed Zahid Hussain Shan, Hassan Munir Bhatti, and Khushi Muhammad Khokar also participated.
Speaking to the participants, Khurshid said their struggle for the working class of Pakistan “was to establish an egalitarian society and achieve National Economic Self Reliance.” He demanded that the government should not resort to privatizing of WAPDA.
He warned the policy makers in case they did not care the just demand of the working class and bound before IMF and the World Bank, they would hold a long march to Islamabad. He abhorred the economic and social policies allowing rich to be richer and poor to be poorer on account sky-rocketing price hike.
- capital and class
- conflict within the movement
- ecological crisis
- Editor's desk
- fascist attacks
- Maoists India
- state control
- state security
- strategy and tactics
- war on drugs
- Women Martyrs of The Indian Revolution
- Letter from your Editor
- People’s War in India Clippings 11/8/2016
- Passing of communist activist and union militant Himadri Sen Roy
- People’s War in India Clippings 8/8/2016
- People’s War in India Clippings 1/8/2016
- Brief History of the Armed Communist Formations (FCA)
- Boycott (World) Social Forum, a Safety Valve for Imperialism
- ‘Give us Eylem Ataş’s body’
- People’s War in India Clippings 30/7/2016
- People’s War in India Clippings 29/7/2016
- Indian Democracy Unmasked: BJP-RSS and the politics of Communal Hatred-CAFAU
- Brief history of the Revolutionary Communist Commitee (CoCoRi)
- People’s War in India Clippings 26/7/2016
- 12 detained in house raids in Dersim
- People’s War in India Clippings 24/7/2016
- People’s War in India Clippings 22/7/2016
- HBDH: 11 riot police killed in Trabzon
- Armed wing of Maoist Communist Party eliminates reactionary solder
- Responsibility claim for the execution of mafioso Habibi in June , Exarhia area – Athens , Greece
- About the attempted military coup in Turkey KKE (ml)