Mangalore (Kar), Jan 25 (PTI) Police today foiled an attempt by two unemployed men to set themselves ablaze, protesting against ”failure” of authorities to provide them employment at the Special Export Zone here.
The incident took place as a group of villagers displaced by the SEZ, for which their lands had been acquired, were staging a protest here over ”delay” in giving them employment, police said.
As the protest went on, the two men suddenly doused themselves with kerosene and tried to set themselves ablaze, but were thwarted in their attempt by police.
Official sources about 450 persons from Permudi, Bajpe and Kalavaru had been trained at Mangalore Polytechnic a few years ago with the assurancee that they would be appointed in phases in Mangalore Refineries and Petrochemicals, a unit in the units in the SEZ. However nothing came of it, they said.
The protestors called off their agitation after officials held discussions and assured them them that a meeting of MRPL and District Deputy Commissioner would be called in Bangalore on January 29 to find a solution to the problem.
Meanwhile, Jagadish Shenav, an advocate fighting for the cause of the displaced told reporters that the villagers would ”lay seige” to MRPL on February 3 and resume their protests if authorities failed to provide employment by that day.
- capital and class
- conflict within the movement
- ecological crisis
- Editor's desk
- fascist attacks
- Maoists India
- state control
- state security
- strategy and tactics
- war on drugs
- Women Martyrs of The Indian Revolution
- Letter from your Editor
- People’s War in India Clippings 11/8/2016
- Passing of communist activist and union militant Himadri Sen Roy
- People’s War in India Clippings 8/8/2016
- People’s War in India Clippings 1/8/2016
- Brief History of the Armed Communist Formations (FCA)
- Boycott (World) Social Forum, a Safety Valve for Imperialism
- ‘Give us Eylem Ataş’s body’
- People’s War in India Clippings 30/7/2016
- People’s War in India Clippings 29/7/2016
- Indian Democracy Unmasked: BJP-RSS and the politics of Communal Hatred-CAFAU
- Brief history of the Revolutionary Communist Commitee (CoCoRi)
- People’s War in India Clippings 26/7/2016
- 12 detained in house raids in Dersim
- People’s War in India Clippings 24/7/2016
- People’s War in India Clippings 22/7/2016
- HBDH: 11 riot police killed in Trabzon
- Armed wing of Maoist Communist Party eliminates reactionary solder
- Responsibility claim for the execution of mafioso Habibi in June , Exarhia area – Athens , Greece
- About the attempted military coup in Turkey KKE (ml)