Algiers- demonstrations took place early yesterday morning in the neighbourhood of “Diar El Afia” in Kouba (Algiers) where slum dwellers have clung to the police because of the demolition of five houses recently built.
* Clashes between rioters and security forces caused dozens of injured people among the protesters and three seriously injured in the ranks of security forces. A policeman lost his eye and another had his leg broken. These have been evacuated to the hospital.
* The violent clash between the police and protesters, that lasted all day yesterday, broke out following the demolition of five homes built illegally in the region three months ago.
* The inhabitants peacefully demonstrated the first time while refusing to leave their homes because of the housing crisis. Police arrested five youths from the neighborhood and despite the intervention of the wise, security services refused to release them, prompting young people to resort to violent methods by closing the road with burning tires for protest against the policy of arbitrariness and repression by the police towards young people who had no other choice but to build a roof where they can live.
* Things then took a different turn and there were clashes between anti-riot police and protesters making a lot of injuries.
* Around 2 pm, the demonstrators cut off the road leading from the center of Diar El Afia to the market and the slum where the anti-riot police intervened using their batons to disperse them. Shop windows were smashed, vehicles burned and the roads blocked by the angry protesters. The young demonstrators worn stones and knives to face the anti-riot police and dozens of injured were reported among the demonstrators.
* According to a resident of the neighborhood, the police have started since yesterday morning around 10 o’clock to arrest the citizens who refused to bow to the decision to demolish. A decision regarded as arbitrary given the housing crisis as the authorities concerned have taken this decision without offering solutions.