The Ghana Police Service and the Interior Ministry will soon be hauled before court for alleged brutalities that occasioned a police operation in Nankpanduri, a town in the Bunkprugu Yunyoo district of the Northern Region, a little over a week ago.
A Kumasi based legal practitioner and citizen of Nankpanduri, Sule Sambia, claims he has been instructed by citizens of the Nankpanduri community, of which he is a member, to seek redress in court regarding the police brutalities in the community on October 27.
Speaking in an interview on Citi Eyewitness News, Lawyer Sambia said what happened amounted to the violation of the human rights of the citizens in the community, since the police were high-handed in their approach.
A team of Police cum Military personnel, numbering about 100 and drawn from Accra and the three Northern Regions, allegedly went on rampage at Nankpanduri on Wednesday, October 27, intimidating residents and burning some properties of the inhabitants in the process.
Several people sustained various degrees of injuries as a result of the sporadic shooting, whilst others fled the town for fear of dear life.
But the Police Director of Public Affairs, Superintendent Kwesi Ofori has denied reports of any acts of vandalism, indiscriminate shooting and burning of houses in the town.
According to him, the police only embarked on a special exercise to capture and bring to justice the notorious murderer and three time jail breaker, Johnson Kombian, who shot and killed two police men on 17th October, 2010, and was believed to be hiding in the town.
Kombian, is a native of Nankpanduri.
Lawyer Sambia said the community is also laying claims for specific damages as a result of the brutalities. According to him, apart from the police subjecting the members of the community to torture and other cruel acts, they also looted from them.
“There are specific instances where the shops of people of Nankpanduri were looted and burnt in the process. They enter the shop, take what they want and set the place on fire,” he alleged, adding that “so far about 18 students building and 8 shops were affected but we are still collating the figures to know how much we have lost then we head to the court.”