Army files case in Rupganj

Oct 29th

( — Army has filed a case over the Rupganj clash between locals and law enforcers.

East Bengal Regiment’s warrant officer Aminur Rahman filed the case around 12:30am on Friday against 50-60 unidentified people for attempting to murder army personnel and beating them, vandalism, loot and arson at an army camp.

Rupganj Police Station officer-in-charge Forkan Sikder confirmed about the case.

On the other hand, Julhash Mia, a businessman of Taan Musuri area filed another case on the same night against 11 people for vandalism, loot and arson in his house.

Sikder said 138 army personnel were mentioned as witness in the case filed by warrant officer Aminur Rahman. They are from the army camps of Taan Musuri, Naora, Purbagram and Rairachhani.

The police official said no one has been arrested yet.

He also said the situation was under control now.

Rupganj Police Station’s inspector Khandaker Akhteruzzaman said sub-inspector Ahsanullah was given the charge of the investigation.

According to the case detail, a number of ‘criminals’ from Bariachhani, Musuri and Purbagram area of Rupganj Upazila blocked Rupganj-Khilkhet and Rupganj-Demra road with tree trunks and burnt tires in the early hours of Oct 23.

They attempted to attack the temporary army training camps at Musuri, Purbagram and Bariachhani around 6am. They were delivering abusive slogans against the army too.

But the people were stopped as the army officials told them to have patience.

Around 10am, 50-60 unidentified armed people entered the Musuri camp and looted arms and ammunition. At least three army officials were injured at that time. The angry locals also torched and vandalised three army vehicles in the camp.

They were dispersed when army officials opened fire.

The ‘criminals’ came back again around 11am and attempted to kill the army officials but failed as the army officials opened fire again, according to the case.

The agitated ‘criminals’ did not allow the army personnel take the injured army officials and a civilian to the hospital.

They were brought to Dhaka Combined Military Hospital with army helicopter around 3pm.

The ‘criminals’ torched the Musuri camp around 3:30pm.

Mostafa Jamal died around 9am on Oct 24. He sustained critical bullet injuries during the clash. According to reports, 10 people were admitted in hospital with bullet injuries.

The law enforcers, however, denied firing on the people.

The local MP, Upazila and union chairmen said they did not know anything about the army camps although it is customary for the military to inform local administration about their presence.

At least 50 people were injured in the clash between police and demonstrators who blocked the Rupganj-Ichhapura road for about four hours demanding cancellation of the government decision to acquire about 5,000 bighas (165,000 decimals).

Following that incident, the police filed a case accusing six people and some 3,000-4,000 unidentified people for vandalism, loot and arson. Moreover, RAB-11 sub-inspector Yasin Mia filed another case with Rupganj Police Station the next day.

Meanwhile, Shahar Ali, father of Abdul Ali, also known as Masud, 32, and Lehaj Uddin, father of Saidul Islam, 22, of Bariachani village under Rupganj Union, filed two general diaries with Rupganj Police Station on Tuesday.

Moreover, Shamsher Mollah, father of a youth injured in the clash, filed another complaint on Wednesday.

This entry was posted in resistance, state security and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.