JEDDAH – A riot at the Passports Department’s deportation detention center in Jeddah Wednesday morning led to some inmates escaping the facility and injuries to 13 department officials.
Extra security services were called to the site at the Old Airport when inmates, all of whom were being held ahead of deportation for overstaying the time limits of Haj and Umrah visas, accosted guards and ripped up an iron fence, enabling some of them to escape.
Officers, with the aid of reinforcements from Makkah Police and Special Emergency Services, brought the situation under control and returned the inmates to detention blocks, while most of the escapees were located and returned to the center within half an hour of their flight.
Police, as of Wednesday evening, were still searching for an unstated number of others.
According to a medical official, nine officers were treated at the scene for minor injuries and four were taken to King Abdul Aziz Hospital. They were discharged later in the day. At least three detainees were also attended to for minor injuries.
The spokesman for the regional Makkah Passports Administration confirmed the incident, and assured the public that none of the detainees was being held on security or criminal charges.
“They are all persons who overstayed their visas from previous years’ Haj and Umrah pilgrimages,” he said.
A senior Passports Department official said that work had already begun on assessing the extent of the damage and on identifying the number of detainees unaccounted for.
- capital and class
- conflict within the movement
- ecological crisis
- Editor's desk
- fascist attacks
- Maoists India
- state control
- state security
- strategy and tactics
- war on drugs
- Women Martyrs of The Indian Revolution
- Letter from your Editor
- People’s War in India Clippings 11/8/2016
- Passing of communist activist and union militant Himadri Sen Roy
- People’s War in India Clippings 8/8/2016
- People’s War in India Clippings 1/8/2016
- Brief History of the Armed Communist Formations (FCA)
- Boycott (World) Social Forum, a Safety Valve for Imperialism
- ‘Give us Eylem Ataş’s body’
- People’s War in India Clippings 30/7/2016
- People’s War in India Clippings 29/7/2016
- Indian Democracy Unmasked: BJP-RSS and the politics of Communal Hatred-CAFAU
- Brief history of the Revolutionary Communist Commitee (CoCoRi)
- People’s War in India Clippings 26/7/2016
- 12 detained in house raids in Dersim
- People’s War in India Clippings 24/7/2016
- People’s War in India Clippings 22/7/2016
- HBDH: 11 riot police killed in Trabzon
- Armed wing of Maoist Communist Party eliminates reactionary solder
- Responsibility claim for the execution of mafioso Habibi in June , Exarhia area – Athens , Greece
- About the attempted military coup in Turkey KKE (ml)