Allegations Police Officers Threaten Buol Shooting Victims in Their Hospital Beds

September 06, 2010

Buol, Central Sulawesi. New evidence of alleged human rights abuses by Indonesian security forces in Buol, Central Sulawesi, has emerged.

Amnesty International has called for the government to establish a fact-finding team after police officers opened fire on protesters, killing eight and injuring 28 others.

The demonstrators were protesting against the death of motorcycle taxi driver Kasmir Timumun police custody. Police claim he hung himself though this is disputed by the man’s family, who allege Kasmir’s body bore the marks of torture.

State news agency Antara reported on Monday that three shooting victims — Lubis, 33, who suffered a gunshot wound to his right elbow; Sudirman, 31, who was injured in his left thigh; and Sutomo, 35, who was wounded in his left cheek — had returned to Buol Hospital for treatment to their injuries.

Sudirman said police had been forced to leave the hospital where he was undergoing treatment to his injuries on Sept. 2 and had witnessed officers threatening other patients with their guns.

“I was traumatized and therefore I ran away and went home,” said Sudirman, from Leok Dua.

He said that he had returned home for two days but his condition continued to deteriorate so he had decided to return to the hospital.

Lubis, a farmer, told a similar story, saying he had seen several people running out of the hospital as several police officers went on a rampage inside.

“I was traumatized,” Lubis said.

Sudirman and Lubis said that they were shot riding motorcycles on the edges of the clash between Buol residents and police.

This entry was posted in state security and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.