4 NPA bandits killed, 3 firearms recovered in Masbate clash

by HM Cabunoc

Camp Elias Angeles, Pili, Camarines Sur (9 September) — Four rebels were killed and three firearms were recovered following an encounter with the government forces in Masbate province Monday afternoon (September 6), a military official said.

LtCol Anthony Purugganan, Commander of the 9th Infantry Battalion of the Philippine Army, said that a 9-man squad of the 93rd Division Reconnaissance Company, led by Private First Class Ramon Magpantay, encountered more or less 10 NPA bandits led by Ka Dady of the CPP-NPA-NDF’s Front Committee 83-Central in Sta Maria village, Mobo town at around 1:00 pm.

Purugganan said that four NPA bandits were killed in the clash, three firearms, including cal 5.56 mm M653 rifle (baby armalite), cal.30 M1 Garand and a shotgun, and combat packs containing personal effects and subversive documents were recovered.

Remains of the rebels killed were brought to the police station in Mobo town for proper identification. No one among them were identified by villagers who were at the scene after the firefight.

“I believe that one of the slain rebels is a ranking cadre as in his possession was .56 mm M653 rifle,” said Purugganan.

Purugganan also said that he sent the troops to check the report from a civilian about a group of rebels who were planning to set up improvised bombs in the area.

At least two ambuscades using roadside bombs had been staged by the NPA bandits in Mobo town this year.

Major General Ruperto Pabustan, commander of the 9th ID PA, has directed the 9th Infantry Battalion to intensify its security patrols after the deadly ambush which left 5 people dead on August 28.

This entry was posted in resistance, war and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.