Police quell disturbance at children’s care home

September 01

TEENAGE boys pelted police with missiles after officers were called to a disturbance at a children’s home in Ashton Vale.

Residents were kept awake for several hours when the emergency services, also including the fire brigade and ambulance, were called to deal with the trouble late on Monday night.

Witnesses said there was a stand-off between police in riot gear and the youngsters inside the home, which is a long-term settled care unit for up to five 13-18 year-olds.

The city council has asked the Evening Post not to identify the road where the home stands for child protection reasons.

Avon and Somerset police spokesman Wayne Baker said: “Police were called to reports of a disturbance late on Monday night. When they arrived at about 11.30pm, the officers were showered with various objects and used shields and riot gear to protect themselves.

“Three teenagers – two aged 16 and one 17 – were subsequently arrested on suspicion of public order and criminal damage offences and are still to be questioned by officers.”

A mother-of-two who lives nearby said: “We’ve never witnessed anything like this at the children’s home before. They shut off the road and the police were kitted out in riot gear, protective clothing and shields.

“You could see the windows had been smashed. I think it was totally over-the-top by the police. They were just children after all.

“There were ambulances, the fire brigade and police, it was unbelievable. It’s not a very nice thing for your children to see out of the window at that time of night.

“It took about two hours before the police went in. I would have expected them to put a stop to it immediately.

“Personally, I don’t mind the home being there because I can appreciate that you have to have children’s homes somewhere.”

It is not clear what caused the disturbance, nor what kind of reception police received when they got into the council-run home that has been established for 30 years.

A police car remained at the scene yesterday morning.

A city council spokeswoman said: “We can confirm that there was an incident at a Bristol children’s care home and we are currently assisting the police with their investigation.

“Although serious, we consider it to be an isolated episode and staff are working to ensure that their good relationship with the local community continues.”

Avon Fire and Rescue service spokeswoman Stephanie Mounsey said a fire engine did attend but was not required.

This entry was posted in prisons, resistance and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.