Kashmir unrest: Army called in Srinagar

Authorities in Indian administered Kashmir have imposed an indefinite curfew in the summer capital Srinagar, after three more people died in police firing Tuesday.

The provincial government has called in army to help maintain law and order in the city.

A police spokesman said that army will be deployed at sensitive places in the city.

Curfew passes issued by the district authorities earlier, including those of journalists, will not be valid now, an official said.

This measure can lead to temporary media gag in the region

Earlier in the day three people including a 25 year-old-woman and a teenager died in police and paramilitary firing on protests that broke after a teenager missing since last night was recovered dead from a stream.

Residents said that the teenager went missing when police chased a group of stone pelting protestors, and alleged that he either drowned trying to escape police or was beaten to death by them.

Police and paramilitary CRPF used force on funeral processions, and beat up journalists covering the protests injuring a few badly.

With people in the procession unable to resist the heavy teargas and baton charge, the bodies they carried fell to ground. Paramilitary men were seen beating the odd relatives, who tried to cling to the bodies on ground.

Fifteen people, mostly teenagers and youth, have died in police action since June 11, when a tear gas shell killed a teenager, apparently returning home from tuitions.

Police first denied hand in his killing, but the autopsy confirmed use of firearm.

Repeated killing of protestors have lead to continuous unrest in the region in the last few weeks.

Provincial government in Srinagar and the federal government in New Delhi have blamed opposition People’s Democratic Party, Kashmiri separatists, militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba and Pakistan for the street protests over civilian killings in the region

This entry was posted in resistance, state security and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.