China plans Xinjiang crackdown for riot anniversary

Beijing, June 18 (AFP) Police in the capital of China’s restive Xinjiang will launch a security clampdown ahead of the anniversary of ethnic riots, the government said today, in an indication they fear further unrest.

Authorities in the city of Urumqi, which exploded in deadly riots last July 5, will “increase the police presence in key places, vital sectors and public areas,” the Xinjiang region’s state-run Tianshannet website said.

Police will also ramp up inspections of all people transporting and using dangerous explosive materials and “severely deal” with those found violating the rules.

Xinjiang had already been beefing up security and authorities have warned of a continued “separatist” threat in the region after the violence in Urumqi last July between Muslim ethnic Uighurs and members of China’s dominant Han group.

The violence saw nearly 200 people killed and up to 1,700 injured, according to government figures.

This entry was posted in state security and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.