City residents blockade road for non-stop water supply

Mohakhali residents Sunday blockaded the main thoroughfare for the second time within a week in protest against poor water supply.

Witnesses said several hundred people of the area took to the streets with jars and pots putting barricades in front of the Bon Bhaban and a nearby petrol pump from 10:40am to 11:20 am and then from 11:40am to 12:20pm demanding non-stop supply of water.

The vehicular movements on the Mohakhali-Banani and Mohakhali-Gulshan roads were seriously disrupted causing a severe traffic jam in the area that resulted in acute suffering for the commuters.

The street protests which are frequent in the capital nowadays halted traffic movement for nearly two hours in various city streets as the scarcity of water continues at different parts of the capital for the last couple of weeks.

“WASA will have to improve the situation immediately. Otherwise people will turn violent and law enforcers will not be able prevent them,” protestor warned.

Recently DMP (Dhaka Metropolitan Police) has stepped up vigilance in the capital to stem protests over utility crisis so that those do not turn violent.

Later, the protestors withdrew the blockade as the authorities assured them of a quick solution.

WASA officials said 41 pumps are in operation in Gulshan with a supply capacity of 137.50 million liters. On Saturday 131.30 million liters of water were fed to the distribution line, which they feel should not cause much problem for the residents living there.

UNB report from Barisal adds, power hungry demonstrators ransacked Palli Bidyut Samity office, assaulted UNO and power engineer in Wazirpur upazila town Sunday.

Police used club to disperse angry demonstrators and held four of them from the spot.

Priya Sidhu Talukdar, UNO, said the demonstrators submitted a memorandum demanding power supply at 10-30 am. They were angered to see resident engineer of Palli Bidyut Samity Lutfar Rahman in his office. They assaulted him and also four staff of UNO office who tried to protect him.

After preliminary treatment, injured Lutfar Rahman was sent to Barisal under police escort.

Residents of the town said normal life and activities have been paralysed by unprecedented load shedding – 13 to17 hours every day.

This entry was posted in resistance and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.