Frenzied mob attacks police in Tarfail slum

Several police personnel injured in stone-pelting

The mob continued the attack on police personnel for more than three hours

63 persons have been arrested in connection with the violence

Damaged:Inspector-General of Police Gagandeep(left) inspecting the vehicle of the Superintendent of Police which was damaged by a mob at the Tarfail slum in Gulbarga on Monday night.

GULBARGA: The police fired in the air to disperse a violent mob which targeted police personnel who went to arrest some of the accused in a murder case late on Monday in the thickly populated Tarfail slum area near the Gulbarga railway station.

Superintendent of Police B.A. Padmanayan had a narrow escape when the mob pelted him with stones when he rushed to the troubled spot after a Deputy Superintendent of Police was manhandled and beaten up by the mob. But for the timely action of Channaveer, the gunman of Mr. Padmanayan, who pushed him to a safe spot, the official would have been severely injured.

Mr. Channaveer who bravely stood against the rain of stones, was bleeding profusely. Additional Superintendent of Police Yellappa and 20 police personnel, including officers, were injured in the violence instigated by the residents of the Tarfail slum.

Eyewitness accounts said the police personnel were taken aback by the intensity of the attack. The narrow lanes and absence of streetlights came in handy for the mob which occupied vantage positions atop buildings to throw stones at the hapless police. The mob continued the attack for more than three hours before the situation was brought under control by the police who lobbed several teargas shells and fired in the air.

What triggered the violence was the murder of 30-year-old Krishna on Monday evening at Uday Nagar in Gulbarga City. Krishna was a resident of the Tarfail slum and eight months ago, his brother Shankar was also murdered allegedly by the members of a gang from Tarfail. The relatives of the victims, suspecting the involvement of the gang for the murders picked up a quarrel with the family members of some persons in the gang. A week back, the seven members, who were arrested on charges of murdering Shankar, were released on bail.

Later, a motorcycle was set ablaze by miscreants and the fire brigade personnel who rushed to the spot where chased away. Meanwhile, the Deputy Superintendent of Police P.M. Hugar, who arrived on the spot to arrest the two accused in the murder of Krishna was pelted with stones and other weapons. Mr. Hugar and the constables accompanying him were injured.

When the Superintendent of Police and the Additional Superintendent of Police rushed to the spot to take stock of the situation, they were also welcomed with a rain of stones by the violent mob. The SP’s vehicle was damaged along with other police jeeps. Injured police personnel have been admitted in different hospitals.

The police have arrested 63 persons in connection with the violence and they have been remanded in judicial custody.

As a precautionary measure, the district administration has clamped prohibitory orders in Gulbarga city for 48 hours from Tuesday.

The situation in Tarfail slum, though tense, was under control.

This entry was posted in resistance, state security and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.